Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Worm--Volume 6

Yesterday was crazy busy. I was reading all day--unfortunately I was reading 670 pages of deeds and leases. So I had no time to write my usual Wednesday edition of Book Worm. This week I wanted to spotlight another author that I really enjoy...


His niche is turning fairy tales on their head. I love fairy tales and children's stories, and I think I am a sucker for authors who can make me see a classic in a new light. I will admit that his books are not for everyone. I have certainly heard mixed reviews when I say how much I enjoy them. Not all of his books are created equal for me. I was not a huge fan of Mirror, Mirror (Snow White). It took me three tries to finish. It was just not as engaging to me as some of the others.

So what are my favorites?

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Don't care if that is the safe answer. This book was great. I love how this character who I had spent my whole life hating now had a history. She was smart and dedicated, albeit antisocial. I sympathized with her. The characters made you laugh and cry--as all books should. Of course the world in which they live is also wonderfully described. I wasn't as impressed with the follow-up Son of a Witch and I haven't yet read A Lion Among Men. But Wicked--definitely worth the time!!


Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. So many people have re-written Cinderella. But I really enjoyed the book. Again, Maguire provides back story behind the characters that we take at face value in our childhood. I love that you can take something so well known and deep rooted and mold it into something new but wonderfully familiar. In this re-telling, the point of view of the "plain-faced" stepsister is the one that we see. The pain of being unlovely to even your own mother and constantly being compared to the "Cinderella" character. It is unfortunately easier to relate to than the original.


1 comment:

  1. popped over from Chelsy's blog, which I discovered today (apparently I'm blog hopping). I have to admit, I am one of those who was far less than a fan of Wicked: the book. But Wicked: the musical? DEEP LOVE. I re-read the book after seeing the show, but it still didn't really jive with me. Haven't read any of his other books, but I've heard good things about the Stepsister one!

    Nice to see some fellow lady law students blogging (and not primarily about law school, ha!) :)

    ReplyDelete

comments make my happy....