Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Worm--Volume 5

C.S. Lewis

One of my absolute favorite authors! He makes you think-and makes you rid yourself of preconceived notions. His books never cease to amaze me, and they are plentiful!

Here is a list of his complete works...(thank you booksfactory.com) The ones in bold are the ones I have read. So I still have a long way to go before I have even read half of his amazing literature.

Nonfiction:Fiction:Poetry:
Now that you have a sense of all that he has written, I would like to highlight two books in particular.
Til We Have Faces
and
The Great Divorce
(I am going to discuss Narnia in a later segment :)

Til We Have Faces was lent to me by my best friend Shawna when I was on bed rest with Libby. And it was incredible. It is not as famous as many of Lewis's other works-but it struck me. It tells the story of two princesses-one beautiful and one not. The back cover talks about the struggle between profane love and sacred love. One of my favorite passages was recently on my friend Addison's blog.

"The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing — to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from — my country, the place where I ought to have been born. Do you think it all meant nothing, all the longing? The longing for home? For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back."
READ THIS BOOK!!

The Great Divorce--*amazing*. Plain and simple. It is Lewis's concept of heaven and hell. The images are incredible and so hard to imagine that sometimes my brain hurt when I would read it--but in a good way. The part that struck me the most was how Lewis describes Heaven as being REAL--reality itself. While Hell is just a state of mind. This quote helps I think,

"Hell is a state of mind - ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind - is, in the end, Hell. But Heaven is not a state of mind. Heaven is reality itself. All that is fully real is Heavenly. For all that can be shaken will be shaken and only the unshakeable remains."
READ THIS BOOK!
I don't think you will be disappointed.
(PS-thanks goodreads.com for the quotes!)

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm... this post feels like a warm blanket:)
    i love c.s. lewis. and love you too!

    ReplyDelete

comments make my happy....