Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kitchen Adventures |:| a week of farmers market fare

When we visited Knoxville, we were lucky enough to get to not only go to the AWESOME Farmer's Market, but also to get half of the flat of veggies the Taylors normally share with another family (that family was going on vaca and did not need them). So we got to take home-potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, mustard greens, broccoli, hot chili peppers, unidentified leafy things (they looked like maple leaves).

I decided to try to incorporate at least one thing into each meal. The result? A week of wonderful and healthy meals.

Tuesday: Corey's chili.

He incorporated the hot chilis and who knows what else. I let him keep his secrets. Needless to say it was delicious--served with cornbread muffins. (and we froze the leftovers and used them on our southwest omelets for cityChurch brunch this morning)
Wednesday: Panko crusted Tilapia with mushroom and garlic wild rice and sauteed mustard greens.

I stole a Martha Stewart recipe to make the fish-I did fish sticks so the kiddos would eat it too!  The mustard greens
Thursday: Greek Wraps with tempeh. 

This is a recipe that we like to include as a light dinner. It comes from Cooking Light-you can find it here. We used the amazing tomatoes from the Farmers Market along with some spinach, lettuce and goat cheese, it was YUM. We usually serve these with Terra exotic vegetable chips of the Mediterranean variety. It makes for a quick and light dinner.

Friday: Loaded Baked Potato soup. 

ALSO from Cooking Light. (Have I mentioned my love of these magazines?). It is one of my favorite potato soup recipes- I extra love it because you bake the potatoes in the microwave-EASY PEASY! We used the Farmer's Market taters ( I use more than the recipe calls for cause I love em). Adding bacon and cheddar on top makes for a filling and comforting soup. I LOVE it. Try it.
Tonight: Veggie (pasta-less) lasagna. 
not the prettiest presentation, but hey-it's lasagna-it's messy

My friend Brittany forwarded me this recipe. I already had the squash and zucchini, all I needed was some eggplant. The recipe can be found here. It is gluten-free (as long as you omit the bread crumbs on top). It makes a TON-so plan accordingly!

I love cooking-especially when we PRE-plan our meals for the week. So having this post will certainly keep me accountable to plan out weekly meals. The one area that I struggle with is KID-friendly meals. My kids like food--but soup is not a fav, so we tend to make them ravioli or chicken nuggets on nights that we have a more unique meal. I'm open to ANY IDEAS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make my happy....