Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kitchen Adventures |:| Noodle Bowls

I love going to a restaurant and discovering things that I can recreate at home. I have done this with the chicken caeser pasta salad from Cheddar's and certainly different drink recipes like Tennessee Manhattans that I first had at a place called Baker Peters. So a couple weeks ago, on a chillier day, I went to lunch at ZenClay. I usually get salads for lunch, but I was cold. So I opted for a Noodle Bowl. YUM. A few days later my friend Danielle told me about Noodle Bowls you can get at the grocery store--also YUM. The ingredients are simple... the prep shouldn't be too hard (right?)...so I gave it a whirl. And I think the end product turned out pretty tasty!! (and pretty)

Ingredients:
Broccoli florets -- 1 head
carrots--2 sliced
sugar snap peas--couple handfuls
(steam the above until fork tender and set to the side)
mushrooms--cup of whatever variety you want
shrimp--I used a bag of frozen
vegetable broth--1 box
garlic--1 teaspoon
crushed red pepper --1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
soba noodles (8 oz) --cooked according to package directions--(PS I really like these noodles, they are new to me, and delicious!)

In a pan I heated a little oil and got the garlic and crushed red pepper going. Then I added the mushrooms. I let them sweat a bit and added the veggie broth. I heated it to boiling and dropped in the shrimp to cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the veggies and let them reheat for a minute. In a bowl put a quarter of the noodles and top with a quarter of the broth/veg mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I liked it in this very clean form. I think the hubs would have liked it to be kicked up in the sauce department. Maybe next time some soy sauce and sriracha could be included. It is really a Choose Your Own Adventure type of dinner :)

1 comment:

  1. I MUST make this!!! :)
    [with LOTs of sriracha on mine, of course]

    ReplyDelete

comments make my happy....