Sunday, January 30, 2011

Quick Trip

My mom and I packed up the kids on Friday and made a quick trip to Charleston. My grandpa recently had a triple bypass and ended up having some complications (one of which was a stroke that has left him unable to speak very well). He has been in the hospital for 10 days now, and I haven't been able to go down. I love my grandpa. He was one of the first people that instilled in me a love of photography. He has given me several of his antique cameras for my collection. He is patient and kind. He taught me to fish, to shoot and to put applesauce on a biscuit. When I was growing up, I spent 2 weeks of every summer at their house in Summersville. He and I always did the dishes together (no dishwasher at the camp). He is a hard worker and a good husband (they have been married for 60 years in March). He has always called me "babe"-in an endearing way.

Finding a photo was almost impossible - he is always behind the camera

So taking some time away from studying and home and friends was worth it. I held his hand and told him how much Joe looks like him. I told him how smart and funny Libby is. I told him how much I love him. And hopefully in a few weeks, after he is done with rehab, he can tell me more stories about my Dad growing up or about his brothers. I hate that it took an emergency for me to realize how much I would miss him if he were gone, but I'm grateful this wasn't the end of his story. He is a remarkable man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make my happy....