Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Worm--Volume 7

My Freshman year of college was a great year of reading. I was surrounded by other book nerds and got some GREAT recommendations. Freshman year was the year that I read Gone with the Wind and Grapes of Wrath. It was the year I started reading Harry Potter. But my one of my favorite finds (and later the sequel) was


Bridget Jones's Diary
and later
Bridge Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason

I am a fan of the dramatic. I like tear jerkers and melancholy stories. But these books tickled my funny bone to the point that I was laughing out loud wherever I was reading. The books follow the main character Bridget Jones. The book is her diary--recording her weight, the number of cigarettes she smoked that day and the funniest anecdotes I have read, probably ever. She is a lovable main character that screws up in the way we all do-falls for the wrong kind of man, holds on to the extra weight, doesn't know what to do with her life. Her family is crazy, her friends are eccentric. I think both books are worth a try-they are not literary genius, but they are awfully funny.

My other favorite thing about the books is their relation to Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. It is a novel spook--with much more crude language and sex than the Austen versions (of course). The main male character is Mr. Darcy and the parents remind me of Austen's characters too. One of my favorite parts is that Bridget and her friends are obsessed with Pride and Prejudice (and Colin Firth). The second book holds one of my favorite passages...

Here Bridget Jones (for her job) is asked to interview Colin Firth - a dream come true for the Mr. Darcy - lover/fantasizer, who has spent much of her adult life watching Mr. Darcy (played by Colin Firth) jump in the lake and come out with his wet shirt.

BJ: But do you think you’re not like Mr Darcy?
CF: I do think I’m not like Mr Darcy, yes.
BJ: I think you’re exactly like Mr Darcy.
CF: In what way?
BJ: You talk the same way as him.
CF: Oh, do I?
BJ: You look exactly like him

Happy Reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make my happy....